It’s nice to try something familiar but with a new twist to them, especially when they don’t make you long for the beach when you’re curled up on the sofa with a blanket and a good movie. To discover some drinks with an exciting spin on them, keep reading…
VANILLA CRANBERRY MIMOSA
- 1 1⁄2 ounces of vanilla flavoured vodka
- 1 1⁄2 ounces of cranberry juice
- Sparkling wine
In a cocktail shaker, pour in the vanilla vodka, cranberry juice and some ice. Shake well and then strain into a champagne flute. Finally, fill the glass to the top with sparkling wine and serve.
- Cookie cutters
- Flat marshmallows
Press the cookie cutter through the marshmallow and gently push out the cut shape, and they’re all ready to float in the drink of your choice.
MINT HOT CHOCOLATE
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 cups of half cream and half whole milk
- 12 ounces of white chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of peppermint extract or mint extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Optional: A few drops of food colouring to give it a minty look.
First of all, in a large pot, add the milk and half cream and half milk, and put it over a medium heat until it’s hot but not boiling. Then, stir in the white chocolate chips. Continue stirring until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is creamy. Finally, stir in food colouring and extracts, and stir until smooth.
Suitable for a small party.
- 1 gallon of fresh apple cider
- 5 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 21⁄2 teaspoons of ground nutmeg
- 21⁄2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 3 cups of bourbon
Firstly, in a stockpot, heat the apple cider, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger together. Then, when the mixture is hot but not boiling, remove from the heat and add the bourbon. Finally, stir to distribute the spices and divide the cider among twenty mugs.
ORANGE AND CRANBERRY SPRITZ
- 500 ml of smooth orange juice
- 500 ml of smooth cranberry juice
- 400 ml of sparkling elderflower drink
First, mix together the orange juice and cranberry juice in a large jug. Gently pour in the sparkling elderflower, otherwise it will fizz. Lastly, mix together and serve in tall glasses with ice.
Recipes from BBC Good Food, Country Living, The Gracious Wife, Honey and Birch, and The Etsy Blog.
Written by: Ellen Dunkerton