There are a number of aspects that you will need to to consider before you make the purchase. By carrying out a series of small tests on a raft for sale you can save yourself a lot of time and hassle and even money. You should always make sure that the raft you are looking to buy is in good condition and safe, so for a guide on buying a used raft, read our following tips.
• The first step you should take when you are looking at a raft for sale is to inflate it to its maximum hardness. You should fill it up with air and then ensure that once it is full there are no wrinkles. It is also advised that you ensure that it stays firm when pressed on.
• Next up you should check that the D-rings and other extra parts are attached solidly to the raft. If there are any parts that may need re-gluing you should consider whether that is something you are willing to do. It is not a serious issue and is relatively easy to solve, but it should also bring down the sale price.
• You should always check for any pinholes in used rafts. A good way to check for these is to spray soapy water over the entire raft. Then, any pinholes will be highlighted by a foamy bump that will form over the top of them. It is worth marking these out with a pencil.
• You should also inspect all the seams on a used raft. Older rafts for sale may have seams that have been glued together. If you think that the seams are going to need gluing, it may be worth steering clear as this can take quite a lot of effort and particular knowledge to be done properly. With the soapy water check there are no leaks at the seams.
• The fabric is another thing that should be checked before you make a purchase. Quite often the fabric may be worn out, particularly on the bottom side. Areas that looked rubbed down could eventually lead to cuts and leaks. These cuts can be patched over simply but it depends on whether you want to make repairs or not.
As long as you follow the advice above, then shopping for used rafts should be made a lot easier and you should also end up with a raft that won’t let you down.
To look into buying used rafts head on over to BoatsandOutboards.co.uk.